Monday, March 30, 2015

Do you ever get tired of the lectures from "friends?"

I'm not sure how our friends are issued to us. Do we choose them? Do they choose us? Are our friendships accidents waiting to happen? Or do they happen for a reason?

The reason I'm so full of questions is because March is going out like a lamb, but I'm feeling like an angry lion ready to pick a fight. In the last few months I've had 'friends' give me lectures like I am child or an incapable adult; or a complete nincompoop; or an inept person who needs direction; or an indecisive person who needs someone to give me orders.

The more I ponder the unpleasantness of being lectured to about different aspects of my life, the more I want to scream. I want to shout: "JUST GO AWAY AND LEAVE ME ALONE." "I'M NOT AN IDIOT." "I DON'T WANT YOUR ADVICE."

However, I try to remain calm and endure the verbal pummeling without resorting to anger or defense. Instead, I turn to my computer and write an essay that I store away and no one ever reads it except for me. I sometimes revisit the essays, and sometimes I edit them for clarity, because hind-sight is 20/20.

I've had unnamed persons tell me I need to lose weight, a lot of it, and real fast. When I say that I've lost 42 pounds since November, I've heard how that's lame, and it's nothing, I need to lose XXX pounds; and here's what I need to do. I've had unnamed persons tell me I need to clear out my house, and just throw away the 'stuff;' and I need to build... everything from more or better raised beds, to a fence, to a deck, etc., and while I'm at it, I should get rid of my fabric stash because I'll never sew it all in my life time.

It dawns on me that these people have no right to exert such domineering posture towards me. They have their own problems, but they forget to 'take the timber out of their own eye, before they try to extricate the speck from my eye.'  I question their motives.

Like my Mother, I don't offer advice to people unless they ask for it, and then it is always prefaced with: "You have to do what you want to do. I might do something different, 'twere me."

In the end run, I won't invite these people to my home any more. They are not my friends, really. If they come to judge me, my home, my yard, or my choices, they are just not my friends, and I don't want them to be close to me. I would prefer the company of people who can be kind, understanding, positive, and helpful.

I'm tired of being worked-over and bludgeoned verbally by acquaintances.  Live and let live. Or, as my daughter used to say: "Eat shit and die."  I understand her sentiment much better now.

On that note: Live the life you desire, not the one others desire.

Remain calm. Carry on! And enjoy the Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment