Friday, November 28, 2014

Thankful Every Day...

The day after Thanksgiving is just as important for being thankful as was Thanksgiving Day...as is every day!

If you have never created a gratitude journal for yourself, I would recommend to everyone to start one today. To make it simple: choose a small bound blank book: lines or not, it doesn't  matter. Then, write the date on the first page and begin.  You may have to stop a moment and think a bit before you actually begin writing, but in your deepest heart, you know what you have to be thankful for.

Don't complicate the task. Try to limit yourself to one page a day. However, if you are overflowing with gratitude you can make each entry as long as you want. After all, it is your gratitude journal. If you need some limitations, then set a number to meet: each day I'll record five things that I was grateful for today.  Number them if you need to: 1., 2., 3., 4., 5,  Make sentences that can stand alone. Use your best penmanship. The value of writing and seeing the written word is huge!

I maintained a gratitude journal for quite a while, and then I set aside the ritual. Today, I realize that I need to get back to putting my gratitude in writing, so that I can go back and read it when I'm feeling despair, sadness, loneliness, low self-esteem, hurt, anger, and all the emotions that are part of being human.

Be honest in your journal of gratitude. Write from your heart. Take a few minutes out of your day to be kind to yourself and to be thankful to God and for your friends and the bounty you have. The process provides salve to soothe the soul.

May the peace that excels all thought be upon your soul today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment